Up to date, expert answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about oxygen supply systems, respiratory care and pulse oximetry written by OCC & collaborators.
What tests do patients need before starting oral antiviral therapy for COVID-19?
▪ No pre-treatment renal (kidney) laboratory tests or hepatic (liver) laboratory tests are required or recommended to start oral antiviral therapy.
▪ If a patient has known chronic kidney disease with a recent eGFR of 30–60, consider adjusting the dose of NMV/r per the renal dosing guidelines. If a patient has known advanced kidney disease with eGFR < 30, NMV/r should not be prescribed. Evaluate the patient for the use of molnupiravir.
▪ If a patient does not have a recent eGFR but there is high suspicion of advanced renal disease, use clinical judgment to decide if the benefit of NMV/r outweighs the risk and/or if you can get laboratory values back in a timely manner to manage the patient accordingly.
▪ If the patient has known severe hepatic (liver) impairment disease, NMV/r should not be prescribed. Evaluate the patient for the use of molnupiravir.
▪ A pregnancy test is not required.
-By EPiC FHI360