Up to date, expert answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about oxygen supply systems, respiratory care and pulse oximetry written by OCC & collaborators.
Invasive mechanical ventilation
How do I know if a ventilator can safely take care of patients with severe hypoxemic respiratory failure (e.g. severe COVID19)?
Please reference the WHO Technical Specifications for Ventilators for a full list.
Some key considerations include whether the device can:
- Optimally utilize locally available oxygen and power supplies
- Deliver pressures (Inspiratory pressure 0-40cmH20, PEEP 0-20 cmH20), respiratory rates (tailored to the desired patient population), tidal volumes (that include at least 4-10cc/kg for the desired patient population), and FiO2 (21-100%)
- Provide standard alarms and monitoring, including plateau pressure and tidal volume measurements
- Proven reliability to deliver ventilation reliably for consecutive weeks
- Be utilized with viral filters and humidification systems
- Includes control modes and modes for weaning (at least AC-VC, AC-PC and PSV)